Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Responding to Appreciation


Do you notice that people often will give you some form of appreciation?  They will say “thanks so much” or “I really appreciate what you did,” or “you were enormously helpful.”  Do you ever notice how people respond when you thank them?  Often, you will say “thanks so much,” and they will say “no problem,” “not a problem,” or “no problemo.”  What is interesting is if I say “Thank you,” and you say “No problem,” then I immediately think, “What, would there have been a problem?”  Your best bet, when I say “thank you,” is to acknowledge it with “it’s a pleasure.”  Instead of saying “no problem,” say “It’s a pleasure.”  Think about how that might work, “I say thanks so much for your help.” You say, “It’s a pleasure.” You will feel good about it and I will feel even better.  


No comments:

Post a Comment